Milestones in the history of the Museum

The Museum was officially established in 1872 by a personal decree of Emperor Alexander II and it was opened for public in 1883, on the coronation date of Emperor Alexander III after whom the Museum was named since 1894 till 1917.

The most different social classes of Russian society took part in the formation of Museum’s collection. Large donations came from the houses of the most rich aristocracy and merchant families: icons, ancient manuscripts, Russian paintings, weapons and ceramics.

The 1920s and 1930s were years when the Museum received the collections from the State Museum Foundation and from disembodied museums.

 

Current exhibitions

“Handsome man. Russian elegant in the second half of the XVIII – beginning of the XX century”.

15 Mar., 2017 — 28 Jul., 2017

Exhibitions in 2017

1 Jan. — 31 Dec., 2017